The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quoti-was-a-member-of-the-college-republicans-30306840.aspx

Subject:  Re: How Capitalism Can Save Art Date:  10/8/2012  1:32 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  647694 of 736406

"I was a member of the College Republicans, and things got very testy for us during the Clinton/Dole campaign." - colovion

I didn't have time for those kinds of shenanigans. I was too busy working and taking classes. I worked on the weekends on Bill Moore's Dairy Farm and during the week when I wasn't in class I worked at the Tobacco Laboratory at USDA Russell Research Center. My boss was Dr. Fred Haeberer. I sometimes wonder if he is still alive? I was just a kid. My freshman year I worked downstairs in the Food Science Building in the abattoir.

I was even busier after I got married because not only did I work and go to school but I butchered animals for hunters at Church. During the fall I butchered and cut up up to 15 deer every year. I got married my Sophomore year in College. Bonnie and I really enjoyed our Church and had lots of friends there so we were really active at our church.

I was an animal/agriculture science guy. After we moved from Married Student Housing into an old house on Hancock street I got homing pigeons and grew tomatoes and peppers and I got two English Springer Spaniels and we took trips to Florida and to visit Bonnie's parents during the holidays. I don't remember ever thinking about politics. It was the furthest thing from my mind.

I hardly paid attention in Political Science class during my Freshman year which was probably why I made a D in it. I thought it was boring as hell. I couldn't wait for it to be over so I could go out chasing girls. My grades shot up after I got married. It was the best thing for me.

And I still think politics is boring. I don't understand why ya'll find it so fascinating. Studying about meat and homing pigeons is a whole lot more interesting.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us