The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/so-now-were-listening-on-the-phantom-setting-and-30307052.aspx

Subject:  Re: Black Friday is too Far Away!! Date:  10/8/2012  3:13 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  9655 of 10598

So now we're listening on the phantom setting and it sounds muddy or muffled, can't decide, either way it's annoying. I can't imagine waiting till Black Friday hoping it will drop in price then. But though I am pretty darn sure DH now agrees that "yup, this thing is nearly toast". Until it actually turns up its toes I think I still have to wait 7 more weeks.

*groan*

RM

RM: the Sony is toast. I’m more concerned that as it deteriorates further it may blow out your speakers – if there’s a rattle/buzz/hum in any speaker turn the amp off quickly. Right now I’m not that sure the amp isn’t stable and that’s a death knell for any amp. Well, you’ve had 20 good years from it and it has paid its way. Time to replace.

I agree with 1poorguy about replacing the amp now with the Yamaha RX V473: capability and price mesh. And 1poorguy is right: not all sales are always that good on Black Friday or in the New Year. Some are but most not.

However, you could t