The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-heard-that-there-are-tax-advantages-for-30307081.aspx

Subject:  Re: tax advantages to rolling-over? Date:  10/8/2012  3:24 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  116766 of 121351

I have heard that there are tax advantages for rollovers that will be ending this year.

One hears all sorts of things from all sorts of sources, and election campaigns don't make it better. I'm not aware of anything affecting retirement account rollovers that's scheduled or even proposed. I will admit that I don't pay attention to campaign tax proposals since they're pretty meaningless until there's proposed stat language. YMMV.

an inherited IRA worth @ $6000; first acquired this year; first RMD will be Nov 2012. Need to move this to another brokerage or rollover or something - do not like fees at Prudential. I realize if I 'roll' this it will be a 'distribution' (?) with taxes paid in full now.

I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true. You can roll an inherited IRA anywhere you like with zero tax consequence. Just make sure that it's rolled into an inherited IRA, basically the same account heading that it has now.

I think it's inevitable that taxes will rise sometime since we have deficit problems and rates are at historical lows. If you have extra cash sitting around to pay the taxes, converting some of your existing accounts to Roth might not be a bad idea. Also, I'd definitely roll the traditional IRA into the SEP account since it's so small. That has zero tax effect.

You can read about rollovers in IRS Pub 590.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us