The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/professors-have-to-have-enough-students-in-their-30307107.aspx

Subject:  Re: WSJ: $10K College Degree Date:  10/8/2012  3:35 PM
Author:  AmericanIdle Number:  867905 of 886526

Professors have to have enough students in their classes to pay their way. And while I understand that one of the points of tenure is to free professors to do research and write books and so on, giving tenure to people who can't pull in enough students to pay the heating bill for the classroom indicates that some schools need to re-examine their thinking on the matter.

I teach at a public college - one of the least expensive in my state by the way. We are in the process of developing an inexpensive degree program in my field and just developed a joint degree program with a nearby Very Expensive Private University.

In a few cases there were five or six students in a class, and that would be the only class the professor had.

Some of my classes are very small - often less than 10 students - but there are many good reasons for this - it seems that people actually *want* underprivileged kids to have a chance at a STEM degree - who knew? - and that it takes time to build up degree programs. (And, by the way, it is much less work for me to run a large gen-ed level lecture class than a small upper-level seminar class. *Much* less.)

As an aside, personally, I bristle at the oft-slung accusation that professors have cushy lives and don't need to really work. I have worked at several other employers and i have never, ever worked harder than I do now. and when i have all thta free time to write books and articles, I will let you know - since I, too, am in the mood for some airborne bacon.

Off to another small (and therefore obviously having-no-real-value) class or I would go on

AI
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us