The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-is-all-made-up-of-course-well-i-read-30307167.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is Peter the Rock on which Jesus Built his C Date:  10/8/2012  3:56 PM
Author:  Mark12547 Number:  183326 of 196092

This is all made up, of course.

Well, I read through the page that was linked to by Josh, it does give support to Peter being the most prominent of the apostles (though my understanding with things like the two-drachma tax that Jesus and Peter were old enough to be required to pay that tax but the other 11 disciples were probably under the age that required it), but I still question Peter's descendants being Pope. We have examples of God promising descendants of certain people to be blessed in certain ways (e.g., Abraham, the priesthood to the Levites, kingship through King David), but I don't recall reading in the Bible that Peter's descendants would be over the Church and I am not so sure that some descendant of Peter pronouncing that for himself is from God instead of being made up and self-serving.

Of course I could be wrong.

And then we have the issue that since priests aren't to be married, wouldn't this hinder the propagation of Peter's seed among those who serve the Catholic Church?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us