The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/another-financial-factor-should-i-postpone-to-30307200.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date:  10/8/2012  4:12 PM
Author:  PSUEngineer Number:  867915 of 881838

Another financial factor: should I postpone to 2013 when DH is retiring and our income will be less? Doing both means the possibility of having enough medical expenses to actually have a tax deduction (we have few deductions...no mortgage, no children at home or education expenses, no self-employment). I have to repeat the pre-surgery eye exam anyway as my eyes are dry and they need to be well moisturized for several days for best accuracy.

When is your DH retiring? I assume not January 1. I assume he has a flexible medical spending account. Enrollment for many people is this month. You could put away enough in the account for next year. The nice thing about the accounts is that you can claim the whole benefit in the first month. Then if you sever employment before the end of the year, you are not required to pay back the benefits that exceeded your contributions.

PSU
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us