The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/just-pointing-out-that-my-husband-a-senior-30307252.aspx

Subject:  Re: WSJ: $10K College Degree Date:  10/8/2012  4:42 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  867920 of 883724

Just pointing out that my husband, a senior instructor at a state college, teaches 4 classes per semester, and they're all usually full. He also takes on his share of advising majors, attending meetings, and is expected to do (unpaid) projects for the department, college or community. He has also taught or proctored exams for colleagues when they're out sick or at a conference (and has been the recipient of such generosity).

They say for every hour in the classroom, a student should put in 2 hours of work. Well, I think it's more like 4 for teachers. Not to mention spending much of the summer comparing a pile of possible new textbooks and redoing curricula. Although as an instructor, DH didn;t have to publish or perish, he did publish a few articles, and they were a TON of work. Which is why professors at his school teach 3 classes per semester instead of 4. Nobody there teaches only 1 class, unless they are chairing a department. I think that sort of thing happens only at major research universities where the famous professor is often abroad presenting lectures and papers on their research. My son-in-law does this, but he is a research-only professor, no classes at all.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us