The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/although-as-an-instructor-dh-didnt-have-to-30307295.aspx

Subject:  Re: WSJ: $10K College Degree Date:  10/8/2012  5:00 PM
Author:  Windowseat Number:  867925 of 884512

Although as an instructor, DH didn;t have to publish or perish, he did publish a few articles, and they were a TON of work. Which is why professors at his school teach 3 classes per semester instead of 4. Nobody there teaches only 1 class, unless they are chairing a department. I think that sort of thing happens only at major research universities where the famous professor is often abroad presenting lectures and papers on their research. My son-in-law does this, but he is a research-only professor, no classes at all.

That's why I was so astonished at the Duke numbers. This wasn't a single upper level class being taught by a well-known professor, these were classes being taught by instructors and assistant professors. One course a semester. Six to ten students. In small departments. And the instructors weren't putting their time into publishing, either, because some of them had never published as much as a single journal article.

But it made me wonder if there were other private institutions where some of the faculty had similar track records, and if so, was the cost of keeping such people employed adding to the huge tuition being demanded.

Nancy
I also know of a school where each class has a maximum of 16 students, because they only accept 16 students per year.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us