The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/your-quotyou-knowthe-ones-who-include-a-30307776.aspx

Subject:  Re: Jon Stewart on Today's Republican Party Date:  10/8/2012  9:50 PM
Author:  wzambon Number:  1822359 of 1961068

Your, "You know....the ones who include a high number of folks who believe Obama is a Muslim, like I said." has already been disputed.

No it hasn't.

You said,
"Check the percentages... they are easy enough to find.
You're not one of those.... but you are in bed with them."

It is the people of your persuasion who most believe the prez is a Muslim not that of dope1.

Au contraire.

My persuasion is not "evangelical Christian", at least in terms of how that term is defined by common political usage in this country.

My persuasion is "liberal Christian". I would hazard the guess that less than 7 % of liberal Christians believe that Obama is Muslim. If you came to the average Presbyterian, or Methodist, or UCC church, or Episcopal Church, you would be laughed out of town if you tried to push the "Obama is a Muslim" idea... and many of those who would laugh you out of town would be Republicans.

the facts,
"While Americans across the board get the president's religion wrong, the religious group that most often thinks Obama is Muslim is white evangelical Protestants (24 percent). American unaffiliated with a religious group make the error least often: just 7 percent identify Obama as Muslim."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/10/belief-that-obama-i.........

As I said.... I am not a white, evangelical protestant, at least according to the common political usage of the term.
This common usage does not resemble the classical definition of "evangelical", which you have only hinted at, below:

evangelical
e·van·gel·i·cal ( v n-j l -k l, v n-) also e·van·gel·ic (-j l k). adj. 1. Of, relating to, or in accordance with the Christian gospel, especially one of the four gospel books of ...

snip
"By the late 1930s, conservatives still in the older denominations and those who left but remained friendly (especially Baptists and Presbyterians) made common cause against the separatist position. Although they maintained a commitment to fundamental Christian beliefs, they also declared their willingness to engage in a dialogue with the academy and society. To distinguish themselves from the separatists, they chose to be called Neo-Evangelicals, soon shortened to Evangelicals."

And many of those "evangelicals" have left, or are in the process of leaving mainline churches. Lots has changed since "the late 1930's".

snip
"I am becoming increasingly concerned with the subtle and sometimes not so subtle changes that have been brought about by the philosophies of the "new (neo) evangelical ism." I fear that it is fast becoming the "neo-modernism." I do not know anyone in my circle of influence or ministry that has totally embraced the philosophy of neo-evangelicalism. Nor do I make any claims of being 100% void of any neo-evangelical thought or practice which may have unwittingly influenced my ministry; but to whatever degree it is found, either in the ministry of BDTLB or any other ministry, it is to be repudiated and avoided as a danger to the truth of the gospel of grace."

http://www.gracepoints.com/articles/gplump.php

I have no background on this guy to be able to assess what he means by the terms that he uses.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us