The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/that-ignores-the-cost-of-the-buildingclassroom-30307832.aspx

Subject:  Re: WSJ: $10K College Degree Date:  10/8/2012  10:34 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  867966 of 885003

That ignores the cost of the building/classroom. . . . [etc]

I agree that universities have other expenses. And that some classes are smaller. It is also true that many are taught by underpaid adjunct professors (ie temp contract employees with minimal or no benefits) or even by graduate students.

Those high prestige universities also have large endowment funds that are supposed to help support the school. And let's not forget that public universities and junior colleges receive substantial amounts of public funds.

I think much of the money goes to support those research programs ("publish or perish") that build prestige for the university. Yes, faculty says they may work any 80 hrs per week they like.

My point is simply costs seem to be out of control. Making a college education unaffordable to many. We need a better formula that is a bit less based on "all the market will bear."
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us