The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/most-people-do-one-eye-at-a-time-so-they-can-get-30307861.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date:  10/8/2012  11:01 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  867968 of 886544

Most people do one eye at a time. So they can get around reasonably well with one while the other one heals.

Doctors usually want to wait months before they fit you for glasses once the eye is operated on. You probably want to do the second one as soon as the doctor will allow. Then you get your glasses and you are essentially done.

For me the implants were a major improvement. I had serious astigmatism. Those digital alarm clocks with 1" high time figures. I could not read one of those without my glasses before.

Now my distance vision is near perfect. So much so that the opticians were surprised that I have the same prescription in both eyes. I still need glasses to read fine print like a newspaper or telephone directory. (Good lighting helps too. Reading in dim light is still difficult.) But letters on signs or on the tv screen are easily read without glasses.

The improvement is remarkable.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us