The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/mike-thats-an-excellent-rational-question-but-30308094.aspx

Subject:  Re: Katie Talks about NDE's Date:  10/9/2012  6:38 AM
Author:  lowstudent Number:  647805 of 734990

Mike that's an excellent rational question. But once u start asking questions like this, it's really not a religious discussion anymore. You are venturing into the area of testable hypothesis, and scientific thought. Once you start asking very good, probing questions, they're really not religious questions anymore. Ultimately, religious beliefs rests on faith.... by definition. At some point in the line of inquiry about matters of fact or rational conjecture, you're going to have to ask, "well, prove it." At that point you are asking for evidence. At that it is no longer religion.

Having spoken to a number of quite religious folks regarding their beliefs I heartily disagree. Heck you can even find evidence in Art's posts quite often. You do not remotely drop religious folks out of most conversations when you ask for evidence. You do lose them when you demand facts, but only if you demand facts from only one side in the discussions.

I do not follow religion that much more closely than I follow the rules of grammar and care about spelling, that is somewhat but ain't worth more effort than that, but it is a very interesting topic if you get to speak with folks who are truly immersed in it, and I would say that a lack of evidence or lack of a great deal of reasoning in their belief is well blasphemous<grin>
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us