The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/id-replace-the-rest-of-the-bulbs-that-will-30308246.aspx

Subject:  Re: Weird landscape lighting issue Date:  10/9/2012  8:57 AM
Author:  DeltaOne81 Number:  122463 of 128232

I'd replace the rest of the bulbs. That will eliminate bulbs as a problem.

Based on how many bulbs I have left in my pack, I think I actually replaced the first 3, but I'll try the last 2 tonight (and I'll also switch a known-good bulb into the third to last just in case I didn't do it yet).

Then if those lights still don't work, I'd suspect a break in the line between the last working light and the first non-working light in the string.

If the evidence lines up with this, any suggestions on how to proceed? I'll try to find a place to put my multi-meter to detect voltage/no-voltage (on the pinch connector somewhere maybe?) and if I can prove where it stops I'll try to pull up the wire to see if I can see any physical problem.

If I do see a physical problem, I have some ideas what to do... I could either just try to tape it up, or I can try to cut/strip/twist/tape the two halves with each other (I have to see if my wire strippers will work... they were made for college lab electronics (small wires) and may not be big enough for these). Any suggestions from anyone with experience?

If I don't see any physical problem, what's next? Calling a pro?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us