The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/free-willfate-in-christian-evangelical-circles-30308588.aspx

Subject:  Re: Katie Talks about NDE's Date:  10/9/2012  11:23 AM
Author:  decath Number:  647850 of 746123

Free will...fate

In Christian Evangelical circles, the argument is 'election' vs. 'predestination'. It is more often associated with how God saves us then how we live. But it is debated endlessly by both sides.

If some are predestined to be "saved" or "not saved" then the "con" argument goes, "why bother spreading the gospel of JC. Either way. God makes the determination. Just enjoy life. Don't bother doing good things like giving to charities, starting foundations or building non-profit hospitals. Nothing really matters".

The 'pro' argument goes that since God is in total control, he knows everything and controls everything so you can be at peace, kind of where I see Art.

In the New Testament, there are various scriptures that have been interpreted to support both views. Many of Paul's statements give me a headache. It is difficult the understand the existential undpinnings. That's why I'm an athlete and a computer programmer. I like logic. I do this and it results in that. I train hard and I can perform better. I wrote a line of code and expect it to behave as I programmed it.

I think God just knows everything: past, present & future so it gives the appearance of predestination. But I try to live like everything depends on my next move or decision.

decath
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us