The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Automotive / Buying and Maintaining a Car

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/that-depends-on-what-kind-of-used-car-youre-30308688.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Where do you buy used cars? Date:  10/9/2012  12:03 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  69523 of 71191

That depends on what kind of used car you're looking for.

I've bought used cars from dealers and from private parties. I've never bought a certified pre-owned car.

If you're looking for a car that's, say, 2-4 years old, you probably want to look at dealers. And if you want a certified car, you must go there. They're going to have most of the inventory and will be able to assist with financing. For these newer cars, make sure you also take a look at the pricing for a new car to see that you're getting an adequate discount for the used car. Occasionally, the price difference between new and 1 or 2 model years older is so small as to make the new car the better choice.

For older cars - like 5 years and older - I'd go to private parties. I'm not fond of eBay, as it is sometimes hard to take a look at the car and test drive it. I like Craigslist better, as the cars are going to be local to you. That makes inspecting the car and test drives easier.

--Peter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us