The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents and Expecting Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ios-games-dragonbox-highly-recommended-teaches-30308882.aspx

Subject:  Re: Games and Crafts for 6 yr old Date:  10/9/2012  1:11 PM
Author:  GameMaker Number:  41967 of 42361

iOS games:
DragonBox - HIGHLY recommended. TEACHES ALGEBRA. After about an hour of play, my son was "solving for X". Of course, he didn't know that, but when I said "If Piglet brought twice as many cupcakes to Eeyore's party as Pooh, and together they brought 9 cupcakes, how many did Pooh bring" and he gives me 3...I'm just floored. (He was about 6 1/4 when he did this...in his head.) Maybe I'm just easily floored. ;)

I also use the Teach Me Kindergarten and First Grade ones

I actually have no problem with him playing Bad Piggies - it's science. He is studying the way the physics of the system works, creating, testing, and refining his hypothesis, over and over again. That's the scientific method.

He also LOVED Tozzle (a toddler's puzzle game) back in the day, but is too old for that now - although I do see him playing with it as a guilty pleasure once in a while. ;)

In general, if it seems to have some edifying feature to it, I'll let him play - and sometimes I'll let him play Treasures of Montezuma (a match-3 game like Bejewelled) as his treat. Nothing really educational about it, but he LOVES it.

For the Wii, we've also played Lego Harry Potter 1-4 together (together being the operative word - I wanted to be there to parent him about violence, beating people up, play vs. real, etc.), and Super Mario Galaxy (which has some fantastic puzzle solving in it), and we've also played Scooby Doo games on the Wii - but the one we played was SO flawed at times that I can't recommend it. There were parts that were so infuriatingly poorly designed that the only reason we got past it is because I'm a game designer myself, and I knew how they had built the level and how we could work around it. I think it was Scooby Doo First Frights. Maybe try a different Scooby Doo one?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us