The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-boss-gets-to-make-the-rulesyes-remember-30310023.aspx

Subject:  Re: The 29.5 hour work week Date:  10/9/2012  10:23 PM
Author:  ModernViking Number:  1822768 of 1947669

The boss gets to make the rules...yes. Remember nobody is forcing you to take a job at company X. If the boss says you have to wear a blue shirt every day you do it. You don't wear a white shirt.

Enter the labor union.

Don't like the boss or the company, you're free to leave. You want to survive at your company, you do your job and listen to the boss. That job wasn't created to make you happy. Want more money become a more valuable employee with talents that nobody else has.

There's being a team player and there's being a conformist robot. I know the difference. I'm also fortunate to be in a position where one can distinguish themselves through individual style and unique talent and I take advantage of that. Unfortunately this is not the case for the great majority of jobs.

So yeah, for the great majority of jobs where you shelve everything that makes you unique at the door, the boss makes all the rules. So it's no surprise that we see CERTAIN PEOPLE <looking upthread> who get a power trip about being the kind of asshat boss that lords over their employees and looks for ways to screw them out of benefits, without a second thought for the labor force on which their personal success is borne.

America is full of people that, lacking certain opportunites (many of which they are exempted from at birth) and a measure of good fortune, are stuck working in jobs they hate so they can put food on the table. Rather than toiling at lifelong labors of love, bringing what they love to the world, they become tasteless cogs in a machine that grants them just enough leisure to keep the spark of hope alive.

What a crappy way to live. And there, but for the grace of God, go I. The difference between people like me and certain others is that I stridently maintain that it shouldn't have to be that way.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us