The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/looking-at-how-others-drive-im-still-above-30310395.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date:  10/10/2012  8:26 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  868038 of 886558

Looking at how others drive, I'm still above average.
------
EVERYBODY believes this about themselves

Heh--I used to post that ;-)

I used to say I was an average driver or worse because when I had a long commute I usually kept up with the fastest traffic, and because it took me years to learn to parallel park with ease and often my straight-in parking was a wee bit crooked if still between the lines--that did improve with practice. My spatial reasoning is not outstanding--I always had trouble on those SAT/IQ/etc. tests when they provided a 3D figure rendered in 2D and asked which figure represents the original figure rotated horizontally or vertically. I used to leave those till the end of the test and then spend ages on them.

But because I recognize that my spatial reasoning is not outstanding, I drive more carefully, leaving extra room around my car whenever I can...although I've gotten more confident about tight places since moving to my current house with its tight 2-car garage (the house inspector called it a 1-car, but I can get my CR-V in when DH is already parked...without coming close to scraping his car, the tools hanging on the wall by my car, or the bicycles & beach chairs in front of me.

That said, I am driving even less than usual. I didn't drive all weekend, drove only to the ophthalmologist on Monday, didn't drive at all Tuesday and had DH do the one necessary errand on his way home. But I need to take my beach walk today, which I hate doing with others as I walk fast and in the water for exercise--and they saunter on the beach and get miffed. I'll go somewhere between 9:15-11am and hope that my achy knee is from skipping my walk for 2 days. I find I have troubles like that when I get either too little or too much exercise. A delicate balance, not so much resilience as even middle age, which my children informed me ended at age 62, despite my insistence that I have till 65--Don't get old, kids!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us