The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotshopping-for-best-buys-on-groceries-works-30310774.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hey Art... Date:  10/10/2012  11:09 AM
Author:  ariechert Number:  648052 of 737248

"Shopping for best buys on groceries works only if (1) one's local grocery stores are reasonably close together; and (2) the price of gasoline isn't sky high--which it is now." catherine

If you got a whole lot to buy it sometimes pays to go a little bit further and stock up. I really like Aldis for produce and canned goods. Also eggs are much cheaper at Aldis than Krogers.

I'm really into consolidating my trips together and making one outing as profitable as possible. Like if I have to go to the Doctor I'll try and hit all the grocery stores close to his office and on the way home. I sort of make a circle.

My little Nissan Sentra gets about 31 miles to the gallon in town so it's not too onerous driving to the store. There is a Kroger about a mile from my house that we use for for short trips to buy a few items but when I want to stock up I'll go to Aldi's which is much cheaper and stock up. Problem is that Aldis is about 6 miles from our house. Aldis is close to Sam's Club and Wal-mart so when I go to one I also go to the other two.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us