The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lowstudent-wrote-what-we-need-is-an-across-the-30310910.aspx

Subject:  Re: Big Bird will be fine, says Romney Date:  10/10/2012  11:49 AM
Author:  CCinOC Number:  648071 of 726137

lowstudent wrote: What we need is an across the board cut in gov't spending. No exceptions. And that includes military.

I think Romney's device to aid decision making is reasonable for cost-CUTTING purposes. From his website:

As president, Mitt Romney will ask a simple question about every federal program: is it so important, so critical, that it is worth borrowing money from China to pay for it?

Is it important and critical to borrow money from China to pay for the military? I would say yes.

Is it important and critical to borrow money from China to pay for PBS? I would say no.

There will be a lot of wrangling in Congress about what constitutes important and critical enough to borrow money from China to pay for it, but at least the question will be asked, whereas it's not even asked now. We have borrowed ourselves to the point of obliteration because the question was not even asked--ever.

After the first question is asked, the next question would be, "How can we get the most bang for the taxpayers' buck?" Then cost-SAVINGS measures should be implemented as if our lives depended on it. Because they do.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us