The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/been-therenice-placebut-you-are-10000-30310936.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where to retire cheap Date:  10/10/2012  12:00 PM
Author:  andrew61 Number:  648077 of 737393

Been there.....nice place.....but you are 10,000 miles from the places you know and the friends you know.

Thailand is a friendly place....but it is still a long way from Chicago.....

Chiang Mai is like 500 miles north of Bangkok....second biggest city.....

10 years ago, I spent about 5 days there.....stayed at a nice hotel (not a western one) for $20/night. Ate out most meals. There's a fair number of tourists there. There were a few TV channels, but the radio is all in Thai, and I think there was one English TV channel - like the BBC. You might be able to get more on satellite TV..... but you give up things like US magazines (expensive to ship). A lot of us foods.....you'd have to substitute asian ones......and friends and contacts. Nice weather year round.....

the place was full of motorbikes ....and traffic during the day.

I think I'd be bored after 2 months..bored out of my mind.

But it is low cost living, if you can adapt to eating a local diet.

REstaurants serving western style food were not cheap.

Chiang Mai has been on my radar for quite some time, mostly because Paul Terhorst and his wife have lived there and it's one place they keep returning to again and again. They've written brief blurbs about the place (on their website) and it's always sounded like someplace that might interest me. Second-largest city in Thailand, but nowhere near as frenetic as Bangkok.

The guy in the International Living magazine described it as a "big college town".

They have restaurants with a good mix of international cuisines there, from what I've read -- not just Thai and other Asian -- and I even checked out some of the menus online and they didn't seem all that expensive to me after factoring in the conversion rate. Of course, in a foreign country, your cost of living is always best if you live like a local.

Will write more later, maybe. I'm up early today because I have to go to the lab and have blood work done. Leaving in a few... I've been putting it off for six weeks now and can't let that slide any further. What a bad boy I am.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us