The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/imo-you-definitely-want-to-pull-the-seats-away-30311187.aspx

Subject:  Re: Why not Marantz? Date:  10/10/2012  1:38 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  9682 of 10536

IMO, you definitely want to pull the seats away from the wall. Your rear surround speakers will work better if they are actually behind you. Even just a few feet. Also, for a smaller TV (40", I believe you said), I think 16' is too far. I'd be more like 8-10'. Our TV is a 60" (as I recall). We sit about 10' from it. Maybe a little more. (I should probably measure everything out...I already know I was off a bit when we were discussing placement last week because my sub is about 4' from the corner, not 1').

If you have the option to install a floor outlet at the new seat location, then you're golden. Go for it.

The YPAO of the Yamaha should also help with your room anomalies (rooms in the real world are seldom acoustically perfect). Nice heavy draperies over the windows might be a good thing, too.

Not sure about that "weird little space" when you pull the chairs out. Without seeing the place it's hard to say much. I know I would move the A/V wall if I could, but I don't know if you can. (I would put it against the bottom wall, basically flipping the room top/bottom. Then when you pull the chairs away from the top wall you create a faux corridor behind the chairs that would line up with the front door. Of course the window on the bottom wall could be a pain then. Like I said, I'd have to see it. Stand in the room and SEE it.)

1poorguy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us