The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-you-all-know-by-now-i-have-the-ancient-hitachi-30311447.aspx

Subject:  Re: Upscaling Questions Date:  10/10/2012  2:58 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  9683 of 10535

As you all know by now I have the ancient Hitachi VHS and a Hitachi DV-P745U DVD player that outputs up to 480p. The VCR is hooked to my 42" 1080p LG via composite to the dvd player which then runs component to the LG.

The Yamaha RX-v571 I am looking at has upscaling:

<B<"1080p Video Upscaling: The RX-V571 is capable of outstanding upscaling and i/p conversion quality. This AV Receiver will upscale video signals from analog-to-HDMI and HDMI-to-HDMI, up to 1080p. This means a much better picture with HDTVs capable of 720p, 1080i or 1080p resolution. The receiver also features extremely precise motion adaptive and edge adaptive deinterlacing and multi-cadence detection (including 3-2 pull-down)."

So I assume that the output of my dvd player will be upscaled in some way to 1080p as long as it is output to the TV via HDMI. Is that right? Is it really going to look "right" that's a big jump from 480 to 1080. What exactly is happening? Or am I wrong in my assumption?

RM

Upscaling (taking a lower level resolution to a higher) and upconversion (taking component – but not composite – up to HDMI) are functions of both the Blu-ray player and the amp. While the player can upconvert a standard DVD to 1080p that signal is further processed by the amp (as in the specs you included such as motion adaptive and multi-cadence pull-down). That’s why I highly recommend an amp with upscaling and upconversion. In fact, I see it as a necessity.

The third actor in this is the TV itself and how its engine handles the incoming signal (improved edge handling, deep blacks, etc.) Some signal data is passed through from the amp but the TV’s proprietary engine does a lot (as your LG TV).

My next question, lets say I take the VCR and the DVD player out of the equation (they will go to the CRT TV in the den) and buy a nifty Blu-ray player that puts out at 1080p. Does the need for the AVR to have upscaling go away? There are more options if I DON'T have to have an upscaling AVR.

As above. Problem with your DVD player and the VCR is outputs. If component then you can use them with an upscaling/upconverting amp but otherwise not. You will pass through a composite signal but it will not be processed up to 1080p or 1080i. You will get a better picture with the new amp (because of better circuits than the old Sony) but not higher resolution.

I assume the Blu-ray would upscale regular DVDs to 1080p? I am noticing though there aren't too many of those out there that I can see.

Actually, RM, all DVDs are recorded at 480 and all can be upscaled to whatever engine takes them to. While it appears the Blu-ray player does upscale (and it does) what it does best is pass a signal the amp’s video chips can handle. Playing a Blu-ray disc means the player’s output is native 1080 and this is passed though the amp where it is further modified (mosquito video noise reduction, etc.).

As for upconverting engines, the Farouja DCi is the most basic (Farouja invented line doubling for CRT sets) with, to name two, Anchor Bay and Audyssey, at the higher, costlier, end. In practice, the DCi is extremely good. I would buy the higher end only for certain projection systems and some extra-large TVs.

Also, with the amp handling the upscaling, the signal from your satellite feed can be improved (if the connection is component or HDMI).

If you’re promising Hal you’ll have a amp lasting at least 15 years get one that has upscaling and can handle the media formats for many years to come. An amp that doesn’t upscale probably can’t do other things such as handle the advanced sound codecs (which may seem too much now but once you get used to them…

MichaelR
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us