The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotthe-city-has-been-particularly-attractive-to-30312321.aspx

Subject:  Re: Libertyville's Loss is Chicago's Gain Date:  10/10/2012  10:22 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  648194 of 749497

"The city has been particularly attractive to technology companies that have found that younger workers are less likely to move to the suburbs than previous generations."

The city has lots of apartments and you don't need a car

1/3rd of college grads don't own a car or even have a drivers license.

Plus, a lot of them have a lot of student debt and can't afford a car or their own place to live, so they get a couple roommates and share an apartment in the city.

Of course, the more experienced folks might decide not to move and the execs and those with families likely are going to face long commutes..or go elsewhere.

I lived in Palatine/north and worked in Schaumburg. It was an hour commute to downtown Chicago then and probably worse today..although you could spend $$$ and take the train to downtown which some did.....

I'd hate to live in libertyville and have to commute to downtown. I'd probably hunt for another job.

I'd bet a lot of those jobs were low paying jobs, too........and there are lots of low paid workers in Chicago.

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us