The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-goal-in-life-used-to-be-retired-by-50-and-spend-30312999.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is your goal in life? Date:  10/11/2012  10:22 AM
Author:  JLC Number:  648270 of 734910

My goal in life used to be retired by 50 and spend more time doing medical missions work. Not going to happen. Maybe 55 now(I'm currently 47 but real close to 48).

Way back in the day when I was "planning" my life, I thought by this time I'd have 2 kids in college, empty nest, and making contacts to be overseas about 3-4 months out of the year. Well, DW 1.0 had a change of heart about kids, career, and being married (at least to me) and things drastically changed after that. By the time DW 2.0 came along, too late to bother with kids so we spoil the niece and nephews.

You're probably at that point in life where you're wondering what your "legacy" will be. Who will remember you. For most, its kids/grandkids. For you it could still be kids/grandkids. Or maybe you need to look into teaching the next generation whether its via Boy Scouts, Little League, job mentoring, teach a college class, etc.

Definitely get involved in some social group. This board is great to bounce around ideas and stuff, but you still need face to face people contact.

JLC
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us