The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Self-Employed Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/it-sounds-to-me-like-the-question-to-answer-is-30313108.aspx

Subject:  Re: To switch or not to switch Date:  10/11/2012  10:54 AM
Author:  GameMaker Number:  14687 of 14985

It sounds to me like the question to answer is "What would I do during down time in that area?"

The money makes sense, from what you've told us, but personally I weigh my happiness and satisfaction quite heavily in that equation. If you ask me to do something that is not intrinsically enjoyable, I will charge you an awful lot for it - which means the deal won't go through.

I would try to find some project you can take on during your time in the bush. Personally, I would love the chance to catch up on reading, get back to my painting, or start coding a personal project.

I think if you found something you could get into during your down time, you might enjoy it. If not, in your shoes, I would be pretty hesitant.

Maybe see if the employer can help. Like "I'll do it, but that's a long time in a very boring area. The numbers work great, but I'm concerned that over time it will be really taxing for me to be so cut off, and I will not be able to do the fantastic work you've come to expect and that I want to do for you. I need an iPad and a Hulu account, which I'll be happy to return when I'm no longer in that remote area" or something - whatever would take the sting out of it for you.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us