The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/trial-and-error-the-only-method-i-know-of-was-30313569.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is your goal in life? Date:  10/11/2012  1:30 PM
Author:  arrete Number:  648307 of 756381

Trial and error
The only method I know of was simply thinking of things I either once enjoyed or had an interest in and doing. I found that the things I enjoyed and wanted to do more of, if I did even marginal looking there were outlets for. I ended up taking film classes in a college and started in a photo workshop at a library(with offers of other things from that, but lost interest), I found basketball leagues and a lot of friends after looking for a place with an indoor basketball court just so I could start moving around.
---------------

I agree. I would add that sometimes you have ebbs and flows during the process. Something else comes up; you get lazy; whatever. Learning dulcimer was like that for me. I found it hard to concentrate and learn when I was still on narcotics. The one thing that did get me to a new level of proficiency was taking a class that was a bit above my level. As a result I had to practice like a mad woman so as not to embarrass myself. And now I play much better.

When you get immersed in something, you get to know other people who open up further opportunities in the area and so it grows. That's how I ended up with a bowed dulcimer and suddenly became a member of a small group. Bet there aren't 100 people in the US that play one, and they all know each other.

Really digging into a couple of things - music, art, running, knitting, whatever can be a lot of fun. And nurturing, too.

arrete
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us