The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-city-has-been-particularly-attractive-to-30313698.aspx

Subject:  Re: Libertyville's Loss is Chicago's Gain Date:  10/11/2012  2:11 PM
Author:  Colovion Number:  648319 of 795045

The city has been particularly attractive to technology companies that have found that younger workers are less likely to move to the suburbs than previous generations.

Detroit doesn't have that issue, lol! There was a poll that came out recently (I'll try to hunt down a link for it later, I heard about it on talk radio locally) that found that 40% of Detroiters plan on leaving the city within five years. Whether or not they do (or can) is another issue of course, but when 40% of your population wants to leave... not great.

I don't blame them though. The Detroit Police were handing out fliers before the first Tiger Playoff game basically saying Detroit is a warzone. I kid you not! They are upset that they have to work 12-hour days and their pay was cut (as would anyone be) and their ranks are being decimated. Not sure what their goal is... not like Tiger fans from the suburbs are going to just start handing DPD officers money, but it is what it is.

Oh, and Detroit's dismal finances?