The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

Subject:  Re: Dishwasher repair Date:  10/12/2012  12:35 PM
Author:  fleg9bo Number:  122510 of 133668

you probably had a broken Door-Spring

Not the spring but the rope.

The spring is... metal so it's not likely to have broken. The rope... has been known to break. The rope is routed over part key number 9 and attached to the door. With the lower access panel removed you can reach in and feel for the spring and rope link....

We had the same repair done four or five years ago and the repair guy did it by feel -- I watched him and couldn't see what he was doing. That's when I decided I didn't want to tackle it myself if it happened again, not if I had to do it by touch. The rope that was replaced is Part #24 on the diagram at this link. I don't know if other parts were also replaced:,wkddfwdtkrwbkrtxgtqsskgwtqkq,vi/k...

Yesterday's repair guy said earlier replacement kits were made too cheaply or designed poorly so the rope rubbed on something and didn't last long - as we discovered - but this has been improved upon. No matter - if it breaks again in four years it will be a good excuse to replace the black unit with a stainless steel one that makes a little less noise.

Copyright 1996-2016 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us