The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / New Paradigm Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/err-quotevery-other-pollquot-so-far-as-i-30316805.aspx

Subject:  Re: Biden is Petulant! Date:  10/12/2012  8:47 PM
Author:  tamhas Number:  64342 of 71196

Err, "every other poll"? So far as I know, there was only one other credible poll, the CNN one, and both you and I have commented on it, although you have taken a nominal difference within margin of error and translated it as a win while I have recognized it for the tie it was.

Not to mention, they were polls of different populations. The CNN poll was of the overall audience and the CBS poll was of uncommitted voters. In the overall audience, one expects that there were a large number of people, yourself included, who were seeing the event from a position of significant prior bias who are thus unlikely to say that their side did poorly unless the performance was significantly below expectation. I quoted the CBS poll of uncommitted voters exactly because this is a population that doesn't have a side going in and who *might* thus judge performance without that bias. That their opinion differs from yours seems like a meaningful datapoint which calls the objectivity of your opinion into question.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us