The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-want-to-know-how-this-will-be-30317706.aspx

Subject:  Re: 25% renewable energy by 2025 Date:  10/13/2012  2:23 PM
Author:  sykesix Number:  122540 of 128671

I would want to know how this will be accomplished without subsidies, and if subsidies are to be used, where in the IIRC not so flush MI budget will it come from?

Lets try to renew our economy first, before we commit additional money that we do not have.

I agree money needs to be spent wisely, but I think this is a clear economic imperative. In fact, it is hard to imagine a better use of the money. Our economy is completely dependent on oil. The price of oil is set on world markets, and a primary source of oil is the Middle East, a portion of the world that has never known political stability.

Oil price shocks caused recession in the US economy in 1973, 1981, 1990, and helped introduce the current downturn. Our dependence in oil comes at an almost unimaginable cost, in the form of loss of several percent of GDP when these contractions occur. In order to defend our oil supplies, the US military is mostly parked in the Middle East. This again, comes at amazing cost, both in gold and blood. We exporting about a half trillion dollars for foreign oil, and much of this money directly or indirectly supports governments hostile to the United States. Even if we don't buy the oil directly, somebody else will.

To be sure, most oil isn't used to generate electricity, and most electricity isn't used for transportation. But that could chance with fairly modest investments and the potential savings and advantages are enormous.

But some people think wars, recessions, poisoned groundwater, and death from black lung is cheaper and easier than the modest public investment that would be required to eliminate those things. I cannot disagree more. The most expensive thing we can do is to simply keep doing what we're doing.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us