The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-like-to-see-how-many-marginal-pupils-the-30317958.aspx

Subject:  Re: Charters Crush Public Schools Date:  10/13/2012  5:06 PM
Author:  lowstudent Number:  648658 of 753938

I would like to see how many marginal pupils the "open enrollment" charter schools reject or eject which then end up in public schools, dragging them down.
I'm not averse to charter schools per se, but I'd like to see some real data and some proper studies on the matter.

The real problem IMO is that public schools integrate the marginal pupils and drag down every other student.

There was a time when public schools did not do that, and performed as well if not better than other schools and religion was largely the reason that folks chose private schools.

So if you choose to make charter schools do the same stupid stuff that public schools chose to do, you can destroy their results as well.

Granted there are other problems, but this is a huge one.

When public education moves more toward getting the best education for kids as opposed to some goal of evening out results, they will compete well.

Better to just get social justice folks out of the way, and let educators do their job
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us