The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

Subject:  Trip report conclusions Date:  10/13/2012  5:17 PM
Author:  fleg9bo Number:  648661 of 800960

Walking around Prague, you could be in any American city going by what the folks look like. There are a few exceptions: More Czechs have that Central European Slavic look, but by no means all. There are almost no minorities of color. There is a lot less obesity and a lot more smoking.

Speaking of bad habits, I was surprised that our server refused to bring me a vodka and tonic at a Czech restaurant one night, even though it was on the menu. We noticed the hard-liquor sections of menus at other restaurants had been covered up. And stores had empty shelves next to the wine and beer. Nobody I asked spoke good enough English to explain the situation, but I discovered this after we got home:

The Czech government has imposed an immediate ban on all exports of hard liquor following the deaths of 23 people from methyl alcohol poisoning.

Czech Republic visitors warned over local liquor

The Czech Republic banned all hard liquor sales in shops and pubs last Friday after the poisonings, believed to be caused by bootleg alcohol. It plans to gradually reopen the domestic market from the middle of next week, using new tax stamps and certifications of origin of drinks.