The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quoti-wonder-how-much-one-of-those-30318309.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax Haven Guru dies Date:  10/13/2012  11:15 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  648701 of 757652

"I wonder how much one of those "aristocratic titles" might run...? I've always suspected I might be titled nobility trapped in a commoner's body." - Andrew

My brother once shared with me that my father's family up in Northern Minnesota were all poor white trash. I know they originally came over here from Germany as indentured servants. The Catholics kicked them out of Germany and they went to England and the English didn't want them so they put them on ships and sent them to the Colonies as indentured servants.

On my mom's side I also know that my grandfather came from a 40 acre potato farm in East Prussia which is now part of Poland. There were like 12 brothers and they couldn't all stay on the farm so my maternal grandfather first joined the Army and fought as a German soldier against the Russians in WWI and afterwards worked in coal mines in Germany. Uncle Gustave, his younger brother, was all ready living in the United States so he sent the money for my grandfather to bring his family over here in 1928.

So? I'm fairly certain we're poor white trash no account peasants as far back as the eye can see. I doubt there's any royalty in my family.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us