The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-confused-you-cant-buy-a-house-in-30318626.aspx

Subject:  Re: Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's Date:  10/14/2012  11:01 AM
Author:  Brooklyn1948 Number:  17926 of 19483

I am confused--you can't buy a house in Northeastern Massachusetts unless you're already a renter there?

The reason we may have to find a short-term rental first is that we live in a co-operative apartment and it may take at least ninety days to close the deal. Our main goal is to sell this apartment and get out of Dodge (so to speak). Selling a co-op is very different from selling a house. I sold three houses in the past 40 years with no problem. With our first house we closed in the morning and bought the new house in the afternoon. The houses were both in the same town. When we sold house #2 we were relocating to RI from NY. We closed on the house, the movers came, we packed up 4 cats and me and my daughter drove to RI hoping that my DH had closed on the house with no problems. Talk about stress. Closings in RI are much easier than here in NY. When we sold house #3 in RI we found a rental back here in the city. So, that was pretty easy.
Now we are retiring. The town has a town center, lots of good restaurants, a library, bank, post office, medical building and a fairly decent hospital that services alot of the surrounding towns.
There is a movie theatre, an Actor's Studio and a performing arts theatre in this small town. It's perfect for retirees. Lots of tourists as it's on the water. We live with alot of tourists coming to this neighborhood now as we are right on the other side of the Brooklyn Bridge which is a must-see for tourists.
I will be fine if I don't have a nervous breakdown from the stress.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us