The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-do-you-feel-about-banning-sodas-over-16-30318679.aspx

Subject:  Re: What annoys the Left more? Date:  10/14/2012  11:42 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  648747 of 740318

How do you feel about banning sodas over 16 ounces?

Just noting that Bloomberg is not a leftist or even a Democrat, and he's the main person pushing this issue.

I don't like banning food that isn't a safety issue, or in the case of meat, caused the animal unnecessary pain. Giant sodas come close, but not over the bar for me.

My obese, T2D brother pretty much lives on diet soda and drinks about a quart at dinner. I cannot persuade him to switch to water or iced tea or fizzy water with lemon/lime or a little juice. If he can't buy big servings of soda, he just drinks several small ones. If soda were illegal, he'd find a source, I bet. Maybe in large quantity it can be addictive.

And what's with the must-never-be-without-a-beverage-in-hand thing? Maybe it started with people who work out carrying a water bottle, making it cool. Maybe it's the prevalence of diabetes/T2D/pre-diabetes--high blood sugar makes you very thirsty.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us