The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-condo-or-town-house-can-be-the-way-to-go-my-30319166.aspx

Subject:  Re: intercst a Homeowner Date:  10/14/2012  5:38 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  45830 of 61244

a condo or town house can be the way to go.

My parents had a nice deal in FL in Briny Breezes...they paid $3500 a year to the park....all the exterior landscaping maintained.....no grass to cut, no bushes to trim, no trees to trim....done....plus you had all the facilities (pool, ocean house, police protection, security gates on all but main entrance at night, etc0......

I had nice 'fee simple' townhouse in Arlington. Owned the land....but it was a 30 unit affair in 3 units. All the outside was maintained...grass and bushes and trees trimmed...snow shoveled in parking lot and sidewalks but not your own six foot walk....

Nice deal.....you could leave with no hassle and I did...turned off water valve...but you still needed someone to check on heat in winter to be sure it didn't freeze up......had heat at 50...and likely adjacent units provided most of heat...chuckle chuckle..but I was working back then so trips were just 2 weeks or so.

Interior was your responsibility.

So was your roof. Low monthly for 'association'. ....

----

Condo in secure facility can be good. You can leave and not worry..have neighbor take in any 'door hangers' or stuff dumped on doorstep. or cobwebs.....

Put some lights on timers....and away you go.

Looks like intercst is settling down.

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us