The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yes-thats-good-advice-jim-i-just-dont-know-30320730.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is your goal in life? Date:  10/15/2012  3:17 PM
Author:  warrl Number:  648942 of 741232

Yes that's good advice jim. I just don't know exactly what. I have a nice cushion of money but definitely not enough to retire on yet. I've myself working in my own little tinkerers shop inventing new gadgets and design new products. Maybe enough to invent and get patents. I would obviously work for myself with no time pressure and stress. Also I'd do some art work as well. I just need to somehow get started. Need to buy equipment. It'd be a hobby but if I can make a bit of money all the better. I'm just the type who works so much better really thinking things through and deeply rather than do the high stress corporate rat race. Last job was like that, although I wouldn't have called my prior engineering jobs "high stress". Not at all. Pace was very good for the most part.

Let me tell you about the guy who owns this RV park I'm in at the moment. Maybe it'll spark an idea.

Mostly his wife runs the RV park. He does some maintenance and pumps propane.

Six months of the year, when the park is closed, he works for a company that makes wrapping machines. They wrap pretty much anything. He goes out, wherever the company sends him, to service/repair these machines, or install new ones.

Frequently when he installs a new one that is in place of an old one, he'll ask the customer what they plan to do with the old one. And often the answer is that they will junk it. So he buys it, and has it shipped here to the park.

When the park is open and he's here, he spends a lot of his time completely refurbishing these machines. Then he sells them to companies that can't afford new ones, and goes out as needed to install or service them.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us