The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/does-anyone-have-any-information-that-would-be-30320880.aspx

Subject:  Re: Medicare, anyone? Date:  10/15/2012  4:12 PM
Author:  fleg9bo Number:  17933 of 19483

Does anyone have any information that would be useful to someone who will be looking at Medicare plans in the next few months.

I start Medicare in two weeks. I consulted with an insurance broker who knows everything about Medicare and all its plans. Sorry your consultant wasn't so knowledgable. Keep looking. My broker made everything very clear and easy to decide.

I've also heard that Advantage plans may be squeezed going forward. You can change plans every year during open enrollment but IIRC if you get a supplemental plan when you start, there are no questions asked, while if you switch from an Advantage plan you may run into refusals or higher rates, depending on your history.

Since I was already receiving Social Security, Part B will be automatically deducted from my SS payment without me having to do anything. Through my broker I signed up for the cheapest Part D (I don't take any meds, but the cost of Part D goes up if you wait to enroll) and also for the Mutual of Omaha supplement. Total premium costs will be less than half of what I've been paying for private individual health insurance and deductibles and co-pays will drop to near nothing compared to my current 30% copays and $1500 deductible. When DW starts Medicare a year from now, our savings on health care costs will be enough to fund a yearly trip to Europe. Thanks, taxpayers.

--fleg
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us