The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/although-i-wouldnt-have-called-my-prior-30321075.aspx

Subject:  Re: What is your goal in life? Date:  10/15/2012  5:25 PM
Author:  Jim2B Number:  648958 of 737077

although I wouldn't have called my prior engineering jobs "high stress". Not at all. Pace was very good for the most part.

I am well paid for the job I do now. It has good points and bad points. I do NOT love it.

I used to have a job I loved.

If I left this line of work and went into the line I loved, I'd take at least a 20% cut in pay.

If I could live without that money, I think I'd go back into the job I loved (all sorts of engineering, analysis, and other fun stuff). At least as close to it as I could get.

Epona has gone back to school. She's wants a degree in social work. It won't pay well but it will probably have good benefits. With her benefits and the little bit of income that provides (and the last of my kids moving out), there's a very good chance that I can go back to doing stuff I love.

I guess that's what I'm suggesting for you. If you loved working for NASA, figure out a way to return to that kind of work (I realize NASA isn't hiring but there are private space firms out there).

If you liked working with oil companies, I'm sure some of them are hiring. Ditto Boeing.

If you have never found a job you truly loved, then spend a little time dabbling and try to find something you do love.

As MadCap says though, I do suggest beginning an exercise regime. Being fit makes me feel 10 years younger. Plus I do a lot of thinking while I run :)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us