The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quothey-that-was-a-great-site-arti-looked-up-30321265.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date:  10/15/2012  6:54 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  648982 of 753948

"hey that was a great site art...i looked up my last name and saw when they settled in Va. never seen that before...something to add to my genealogy file for further research." - LD

It wouldn't let me copy and paste but did you see the part where it said that there were no hard and fast rules about spelling so scribes would write the names how they sounded to them so you can't go just by how we spell our names now? There were a plethora of ways they spelled "Riechert" so now when I research my geneaology I can't stick to just one spelling.

My paternal great grandfather was illiterate till he was 21 years old. He didn't learn to read and write till he broke his leg one year when he was working down in New Orleans as a steveadore. A nice lady took care of him and nursed him back to health and while he was laid up she taught him to read and write. So he didn't know how to write his name till he learned to read and write. So the way we spell it now is just the way it appeared on a land document up in Northern Minnesota for a couple of acres of land so he and his wife could build a log cabin.

By the way that was the cabin my dad grew up in in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. My dad was adopted by his grandmothere. My father grew up thinking his grandmother was his mother. He was the product of incest between a half sister/half brother. The "uncle" who was 35 years old essentially raped his 15 year old half sister and got her pregnant. Everybody in town knew it. What is strange is my father was a genius, literally. He was a biochemical research sales engineer for Liquid Carbonic and he invented a whole bunch of stuff including ways to freeze individually flash frozen food - which we buy in just about every grocery store now.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us