The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/skyesix-ltltthe-fees-pay-for-maintenance-of-30321501.aspx

Subject:  Re: intercst a Homeowner Date:  10/15/2012  9:25 PM
Author:  Donna405 Number:  45842 of 56844

skyesix: <<The fees pay for maintenance of all the common areas, which usually includes the building exteriors.

You're fears are real in that your fate becomes connected to the condo association board, which is often composed of power mad and irrational people. >>

For condos, the HOA fees pay insurance on the building, but not on the interior, for some it includes water and cable service, and as skyesix stated, the maintenance of all the common areas (walkways, roads, greenways, exterior of the buildings, roofs, etc.).

Skyesix, I highly resent your statement regarding "...often composed of power made and irrational people." I have been the president of our 120-unit condo complex since 1992. Believe you me, it is a LOT of work. I am neither irrational nor power mad. However, it is the Board's job to ascertain that the Master Deed and By-Laws are adhered to, as well as the Rules and Regulations of the complex. As a note, the Rules and Regulations were voted on by all the homeowners, as are any Amendments to the Master Deed and By-Laws. In addition, the Board is responsible for ascertaining that the homeowners' money (regime fees) is spent wisely.

In our situation, we have several rental units. One owner of some of the units (14 units) has defaulted, and we have him under foreclosure. So far, he owes over $80K. However, due to the Board's frugality, we have been able to weather this.

Donna
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us