The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Teachers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/id-like-to-see-some-serious-attention-given-to-30321750.aspx

Subject:  Re: For those in the classroom Date:  10/16/2012  12:13 AM
Author:  yeilBagheera Number:  9801 of 9947

I'd like to see some serious attention given to tertiary training that can help older teens be self-supporting. Apprenticeships, Vocational Training.

In my town's high school, there are children of professionals who will be supported by their parents through graduate school and there are a few emancipated minors who are supporting themselves as they finish high school. But we have shuttered the metal shop and the wood shop.

So much of what students hear about careers is about going to a professional school or at least a four year college. We seem to have lost track of intermediate steps - my friend (age 60 now) worked as a certified nurse's aide and paid her way through college. There are useful certifications (commercial drivers license, emt) and programs (line cooks, oilers) that kids could aim for and make enough money to get further training.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us