The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Quagmire

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-western-medias-determination-to-spin-all-30322027.aspx

Subject:  Re: Jihadis in Mali Date:  10/16/2012  8:47 AM
Author:  DrBob2 Number:  89951 of 90258

The western media's determination to spin all actions by Muslims as bad makes it impossible to know whether the rebels are acting on reasonable grievances against the government, or because they are Muslims, as the media implies.

Well, Steve, keep an open mind but don't let your brain fall out.

At first in March:
"Mutinous soldiers led by Captain Amadou Sanogo announce they have overthrown the Bamako government, saying it has failed to give the armed forces the means to defeat a rebellion by Tuareg rebels and Islamists in the north."

Then in April:
"The National Movement for the Liberation of the Azawad (MNLA), the main Tuareg group, says it controls the desert town of Timbuktu....The Islamist Ansar Dine group, along with Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, moves into Timbuktu."

And in June:
"Islamists seize total control of the northern city of Gao, ousting the MNLA after deadly clashes between the once-allied groups. Armed Islamists destroy ancient tombs of Muslim saints in Timbuktu and threaten to wipe out every religious shrine there."

From the Jakarta Globe:

Since all of them want to go to war, Bilal said, the fighters are no longer divided into separate Islamist movements. "We are all mujahedeen," he declared. "Here, there's no more MUJAO (Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa), Ansar Dine (Defenders of the Faith) or AQIM (Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb)."....

"I am Khalil, an Egyptian, and I came to help my mujahedeen brothers," said one man in Arabic, speaking through a translator from Sierra Leone. Another volunteer said in English that he is Pakistani. "Islam has no borders," he added.

DB2
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us