The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-like-our-hsa-generally-did-not-do-much-with-the-30322727.aspx

Subject:  Re: Work Offering HSA Date:  10/16/2012  1:09 PM
Author:  katiewa Number:  116803 of 121219

I like our HSA; generally did not do much with the FSA because of the "use it or lose it" rule. Unfortunately we are no longer with the company that had the HSA, but our funds for the 3(?) years we were in it are totally ours and totally accessible to us. Furthermore, we can put a fair portion into various investments, so it's not just sitting there. And we don't use those funds unless we absolutely have to--general checkups, shots, etc. we pay out-of-pocket.

We changed employers last year (2011), so when I did the taxes I had to fill out a 1-page form declaring that we had overpaid about $150 into our HSA. Getting that backed out of the account was no problem--I think I did it all on line, in fact. (Unlike our overpayment to our 401K--talked to them on the phone--they wanted to know how/why the overpayment had happened (their stupid on-line stuff requires anywhere from 2-3 weeks to get changes through, so it's hard to know when to make the end-of-year changes in order to maximize what you put in). Also had to write a letter explaining what happened.) And the overpayment and interest on it got reported on our 1040, line 21, "Other income". No penalties.

After the first year, we maximized our contributions to the HSA. (The first year the company didn't provide enough information on exactly how it worked and my husband didn't start the paperwork until late so we just had to make some quick decisions and hope for the best.)

There is a TMF HSA board, but it doesn't get much traffic.

Kathleen
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us