The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/in-my-view-people-need-to-be-either-wealthy-or-of-30323437.aspx

Subject:  Re: Medicare, anyone? Date:  10/16/2012  5:30 PM
Author:  ResNullius Number:  17953 of 19257

In my view people need to be either wealthy or of limited means not to have media-gap or go with the Advantage plans. It is not hard to run up co-pays and deductibles of several thousand dollars.

I've been dithering around about this for the past month. My effective date for Medicare is December 1. Today, I called and got my medigap and drug coverage. The drug premiums will be deducted from my SS, but I have to directly pay for the medigap. I've got a number of health issues, so I decided that I couldn't risk going with Medicare Advantage. Anyway, what's done is done, at least until the next open enrollment. I figure Medicare and all it's various programs are going to go through a lot of changes over the next 5 to 10 years, including significant increases in premiums. We don't really have a choice, unlike our politicians who get coverage for life outside of Medicare. It's past time to make those slugs live with what they have put on the rest of us. Just my two cents.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us