The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Family Life / Parents and Expecting Parents

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-the-whole-idea-that-im-the-one-controlling-30325778.aspx

Subject:  Re: Extra sleep may improve kids' conduct Date:  10/17/2012  5:02 PM
Author:  snippee Number:  41976 of 42342

But the whole idea that I'm the one controlling how much my kid sleeps amuses me.

I've gone on record as having kids who wake up well before i'd like them to, no matter how i tinker with their bedtimes. However, there are parents out there who don't really monitor their kids' sleep needs, allowing* them later bedtimes and having to wake them up in the morning, creating a cycle of sleep deprivation.

Since i worship at the altar of sleep schedules, i read the article and thought, "This is news?" But then i think of friends and acquaintances who take a lackadaisical approach to naps and bedtimes and haven't thought about a possible connection with their kids' behavioral and/or health issues. Maybe a few of them will read this study and try something new.

* There are exceptions, of course, where later bedtimes might be a necessity based on work/school schedules.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us