The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/why-not-become-a-baron-its-cheap-heck-i-may-30325894.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Should andrew become a Baron of Sealan Date:  10/17/2012  5:50 PM
Author:  andrew61 Number:  649363 of 757322

Why not become a Baron, it's cheap. Heck, I may become a Baroness. Then I can say I was also Cherokee and get bennies and then get one of those online diplomas to be a preacher...only those with a credit card need apply.

Seriously, go for it, if it makes you happy. :) If you do, then all of us will bow down in your presense.

Baron Andrew....sounds good.

LD

I see this opportunity as being a bit different from getting a fake degree or some such. If that were the case, I wouldn't bother. However, I have reason to believe this is the real deal.

A monarch (in this case, Prince Michael of the Principality of Sealand, the late Prince Roy's heir) has the prerogative to bestow titles of nobility on people at his or her sole discretion, for whatever reason he/she wishes. So, the question becomes, is the Principality of Sealand a real, bona-fide nation, and is Prince Michael a real monarch? If those things are real, then the titles are real.

I have concluded, after several days of online research, that Sealand is in fact a "real" nation in every sense that matters. I've studied the history. Here's the gist of what I learned: Roy Bates, a British World War II veteran, was able to declare his independence from the UK and found his own nation based on a loophole he discovered in international law. In the 1960s, he took over an abaondoned fort six miles off the east coast of England and declared it his own country. The British government tried to evict him and his family, but the case was thrown out of court due to the fact that the fort is in international waters and therefore outside the UK's jurisdiction. Even though the British government built that fort and a number of others, it turns out after the fact that these forts were built illegally because the Brits built them too far out in the water. Afterward, Prince Roy and his family successfully fought off military attacks from the British, and some years later, the Germans. Although no country in the world has officially recognized Sealand as its own nation, both the UK and Germany have, by their actions, conceded a "de facto" recognition of the country. When the Germans attacked, for example, Prince Roy was able to take a German military man prisoner, and when Germany tried to negotiate the prisoner's release with the UK, they were told it was out of the UK's jurisdiction, so they had to negotiate directly with Sealand instead. They had no other choice.

All this to say that Roy Bates effectively declared his independence from Britain and founded his own micronation, and there appears to be nothing anyone can do about it. So to my way of thinking Sealand has earned the right to call itself a legitimate country.

Now, about the nobility titles: Again, a legitimate monarch of a legitimate nation can bestow them at his sole discretion for any reason he sees fit. In centuries past, the monarchs of England and other European nations awarded titles mostly to national war heroes, along with substantial parcels of land, as a way to show recognition and appreciation for their achievements in service to their country. These titles and land were typically hereditary and passed down to the firstborn of each subsequent generation.

Sometimes "honorary" titles are given, as in the case of Sir Elton John and Sir Paul McCartney. These honorary titles can't be passed down to heirs, to my knowledge, but that doesn't mean they are "fake".

In Sealand's case, the monarchy doesn't need war heroes, but it does need financial contributions in order to stay afloat, meet operating expenses and for upkeep. The monarch is selling honorary titles as a way of raising this needed money. That's where I come in. I provide them with a nominal sum of money and they award me with a title I've always wanted. It might sound hokey and "gimmickal" at first, but I see it as legitimate.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us