The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-scriptures-teach-that-marriage-was-instituted-30326339.aspx

Subject:  Re: He Lost 95% of His "Friends" Date:  10/17/2012  9:59 PM
Author:  NigelGlitter Number:  183707 of 196934

The scriptures teach that marriage was instituted by God so make your case with HIM. I care little about religious unions or religious marriage ceremonies. The marriage that I was talking about is a joining of 2 to become 1. I know that it does not often occur but it is a function that God does still perform and is why HE 'hates divorce'.

That's one way to look at it. Of course, scripture repeatedly fails the historical accuracy test, so why use it as such?

Marriage provides some reasonable assurance of legitimacy of offspring, hence the payment for brides, and also reduces the need for competition for mating once a mate is selected. It's an adaptation for a species that is both social, aggressive, and has a higher rate of success through genes being passed along by many rather than from a single alpha male who sires as many offspring as possible until the next alpha can knock him off.

That's why marriage predates recorded history.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us