The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Hobbies & Interests / Crafty Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-smidge-of-organizing-30329297.aspx

Subject:  A smidge of organizing. Date:  10/19/2012  9:54 AM
Author:  LaraAmber Number:  7273 of 7313

I finished the second of two cross stitch pieces I was doing for my sister-in-law. They won't be framed in time for her birthday, but I will have them in time for Christmas. I took them to a shop here in the Denver area that specializes in needlework supplies and framing needlework projects.

I was ready to start my next project (a gift for my mother-in-law) and had to place an order online for supplies. I ended up ordering four more patterns! I did download an app for my iPhone for keeping track of your floss, and was pleased to see I had only duplicated two colors (black and white) in my order.

Last night I sorted through my supplies and I found a half complete project I know I'm never going to finish (no longer like the design, very dated) and tossed it and a pile of mangled patterns that I know I won't do a second time. I think I have a couple patterns and kits that I may donate to Good Will and see if someone else wants to do them, they just aren't my style anymore. I think once I discovered the variety of stuff available online and the smaller publishers, I've become disenchanted with the big publishers like Dimensions where a lot of stuff is geared towards the beginner. Bless the internet for making it easier to find other designers and learn more technique.

I do have some completed projects that I never framed. I don't know what to do with those. I know my husband would be against tossing something I made, but some of them were early pieces before I really got my technique down, and one was a very advanced piece that I tackled too early, so while other people might not notice problems with it, I'm hyper critical of the final look. Why spend a couple hundred getting it pinned, matted, and framed if it isn't perfect? Maybe it will look better to me after I iron it.

Lara Amber
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us